Who might cause abuse?
Abuse can occur in any relationship and may result in harm or exploitation of. the person
subjected to it. It may be caused by anyone who has power over the person.
Whoever is causing the abuse, and wherever it happens, it is not acceptable, particularly
when the victim is someone · who is not able to properly protect themselves.
The person who is responsible for the abuse is often well known to the person being
mistreated or exploited. They could be:
· a paid or unpaid carer
· a health or social care worker
· a relative, friend or neighbour
· another resident of a care home or user of a care service
· someone who is supposed to provide a service to you
· it can be caused by a person deliberately intending to harm or neglect, failing to take the right action or through their ignorance
*This is not an exhaustive list